An Early Snowmobile: In 1916 Jose Velez of Port Henry, NY invented this unique snowmobile; he is shown here giving a ride to Pauline Gregory, who later became his wife. Jose removed the front wheel from a Yale motorcycle, and attached a column from the front of the sled to a steering wheel. It worked fine on level ground, but had some difficulty on the Port Henry hills.
Latitude: 44.044941 Longitude: -73.459203 Elevation: 164 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
- Explore the Turning Point Trail: The 1777 Campaign of Major General John Burgoyne
- Northern Reaches of Lake Champlain: An Interpretive Guide to the Borderlands of Lakes to Locks Passage
- Waterways of War: The French & Indian War
- Waterways of War: The War of 1812
- Waterways of War: Turning Point of the American Revolution
Interests and Areas of Expertise
Regional History, American History, European History, Religious History, Culinary Arts.