The hardest garnet in the world is only found on Gore Mountain, making the garnet extremely rare. The Barton garnet has an unusual and beautiful ruby red color that flashes in the sun. In 1969, the Governor of New York, Nelson Rockefeller, made the Barton garnet the New York State Gem Stone.
- Explore the Turning Point Trail: The 1777 Campaign of Major General John Burgoyne
- Northern Reaches of Lake Champlain: An Interpretive Guide to the Borderlands of Lakes to Locks Passage
- Waterways of War: The French & Indian War
- Waterways of War: The War of 1812
- Waterways of War: Turning Point of the American Revolution
You'll learn from your tour guide the history and geology of the Garnet Mine and how to find your own Garnet Gemstones. Hunting for your own treasures as you explore around the #1 pit is GREAT FUN!
Seasons And Hours Accessible
OPEN seven days a week
June 26th - Labor Day September 4th, 2016
Hours: Mon - Sat 9:30 - 5:00 and Sun 11:00 - 5:00.
After Labor Day we will be open weekends
Saturday and Sunday beginning Sept. 9th thru Oct. 8th
Hours are Saturday 9:30 - 5:00 and Sunday 11:00 - 5:00