During the third and final encounter of the Battle of Lake George during the French and Indian War (1755), a retreating French army ran into a relief force sent from Fort Lyman. 200 New York and New Hampshire men fell upon 300 Canadians and Indians encamped near a pond for the night. The French force was almost annihilated, leaving 200 bodies to roll into the pool and stain the water a bloodly red. In this conflict Robert Rogers, the famous Ranger, made his debut as a soldier. But does this historic marker indicate the actual location of Bloody Pond ....
Latitude: 43.390361 Longitude: -73.703365 Elevation: 558 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
- Explore the Turning Point Trail: The 1777 Campaign of Major General John Burgoyne
- Northern Reaches of Lake Champlain: An Interpretive Guide to the Borderlands of Lakes to Locks Passage
- Waterways of War: The French & Indian War
- Waterways of War: The War of 1812
- Waterways of War: Turning Point of the American Revolution
Interests and Areas of Expertise
Regional History, American History, European History, Religious History, Culinary Arts.