This location was once a stopping point for both sail and steam boats. Matthew Sax constructed the first steamboat wharf between Whitehall and St. Jean here in 1805. Beginning 1903, another ferry ran from Chazy Landing to Isle la Motte, in the small protected harbor, and was captained by John Fleury. In 1905 he sold it to William Sweet, who built the first gasoline powered ferry and named it The Twins after his sons. In 1916 he built an even larger ferry called The Twin Boys and sold it in 1936.