The Crescent - Church Hill Historic District in the Town of Halfmoon has a number of fine mid-19th century Greek Revival and early Erie Canal homes overlooking the Mohawk River. The Historic District includes several buildings on the National Historic Registry. A prominent and stately structure in this district is the two story, old brick bank building onTerminal Rd. near Route 9 at the north end of the Crescent Bridge facing the Mohawk River. The building, known as the Noxon bank building originally chartered in 1850 as the Farmer's Bank, is a dramatic entry point to the Mohawk Towpath Byway and Saratoga County. The Greek Revival structure was built by Alfred Noxon, a local entreprenaur of his time and owner of several businesses during the early Erie Canal era of the 1800's. The structure still retains the character of the time with its wrought iron staricase and boasts the original bank vault which now serves as a pantry for the present owner. Another landmark of significance on the registry is the building known as the Judge Duncan McMartin house on top of Church Hill. As with many of the houses located on the south side of Church Hill, the original main entrance faces the Mohawk River and former Erie Canal aqueduct crossing into Saratoga County from Albany County. One can also find an octagonal house and several smaller early canal era homes still used as private residences today.
Don't Miss This When Visiting
Vischer Ferry Historic District
Stockade Historic Disctrict
Village of Waterford, the oldest incorporated village in New York State.
Related Sites Or Experiences
Mohawk Towpath Scenic Byway and Clifton Park Nature Preserve. The Mohawk Towpath Scenic Byway follows much of the original Erie Canal towpath from Waterford/Cohoes to Schenectady, NY.
Additional Notes And Comments
The Noxon Bank building was chartered as the Farmer's Bank in 1850 until approximately 1859 and still retains its original walk-in safe used as a pantry in what is now a private residence. The bank was an integral part of the hamlet known as Crescent which developed along the original Erie Canal in southern Saratoga County.