The British Crown formed the 42nd (Highland Regiment) of Foot from the loyal Whigs from the Highland Clans of Scotland to keep order. They were unsuccessful in detering crime, so independent companies, of what would be known as the "Black Watch" were raised as militia in 1725. The Black Watch Regiment gained fame for its fearless charge during Maj. Gen. James Ambercrombie's attack on Ticonderoga in 1758, during the French and Indian War. Prior to this battle, Major Duncan Campbell recieved a haunting premonition that he would meet his demise in battle at a far away place he had never heard of ..... Ticonderoga.
Latitude: 43.286859 Longitude: -73.585329 Elevation: 263 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
- Explore the Turning Point Trail: The 1777 Campaign of Major General John Burgoyne
- Northern Reaches of Lake Champlain: An Interpretive Guide to the Borderlands of Lakes to Locks Passage
- Waterways of War: The French & Indian War
- Waterways of War: The War of 1812
- Waterways of War: Turning Point of the American Revolution
Interests and Areas of Expertise
Regional History, American History, European History, Religious History, Culinary Arts.