The Essex Heritage Center is located on the corner of Route 22 and Elm St. The building was built in 1867 as a school in a Greek revival style and serves as a museum with displays of Essex architecture and artifacts; a Visitor’s Center; a Resale business, providing both items and financial support for those in the community who need help, and an office for the Town Historian. The historical archives are stored here and research is encouraged.
Season and Hours OpenOpen Memorial Day - Columbus Day Everyday 10am to 5pm
Don't Miss This When Visiting
Town Historian’s room with present exhibit of “Essex Folk Collections” and audio/visual programs. “Renew,” the resale room, and the museum rooms of architecture and artifacts. The entire hamlet of Essex is on the National Register of Historic Places so take a walk through the village and see the Federal and Greek revival architecture that was influenced by the expanded community growth during the War of 1812 era. A self guided tour book is available.
Related Sites Or Experiences
Willsboro Heritage Museum, Willsboro Visitors Center, Westport Heritage House, Essex Town Hall Exhibit. The Boquet Octagonal Schoolhouse and the Whallonsburg Grange Hall are open by appointment. Call the Essex Town Historian at 518 963 8782.
Identify And Describe The Management Organization
“Historic Essex” assists the local community in protecting and preserving the historic-built environment and its natural surroundings through educational awareness, heritage advocacy and protective covenants