Fort Hardy Park is the site of the British laying down of arms at the surrender of the British to the Americans. This was the first major victory for the Americans, and it convinced the French to join the War on their behalf. France’s decision to participate in the American Revolution would later bankrupt the Monarchy under Louis XVI, creating ripples that would also lead to Revolution in France. Therefore, victory at Saratoga had a huge influence on American and Global history. This site, which played such a vital role in world history, is now a quiet park resting between the old Champlain Canal and the mighty Hudson River, for all to enjoy.
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
- Explore the Turning Point Trail: The 1777 Campaign of Major General John Burgoyne
- Northern Reaches of Lake Champlain: An Interpretive Guide to the Borderlands of Lakes to Locks Passage
- Waterways of War: The French & Indian War
- Waterways of War: The War of 1812
- Waterways of War: Turning Point of the American Revolution
Interests and Areas of Expertise
Regional History, American History, European History, Religious History, Culinary Arts.