From the launch site, this fort is visible under the bridge to the north. Fort Montgomery is a historic landing and structure. Building began in 1816 in an American effort to protect the northern end of Lake Champlain, although the present fort was not constructed until 1844. This site was nicknamed “Fort Blunder” due to a surveying mistake; for it was discovered several years after construction had already begun that the fort’s location was actually north of the 45th parallel and therefore in Canada.
The fort, in a much reduced state after being the source of fill stone for almost 100 years, remains a landscape icon for visitors crossing the bridge or traveling on the water. It is private property.