This is a Historic Landing site that was used for cross-lake transportation by early travelers from the early settlement in 1765 by William Gilliland. In fact, it's believed to be one of the earliest ferry points on the lake north of Crown Point. In his journal, he noted that he hired some New England men to “Ferry His cattle over from Cloven Foot to Cloven Rock." After records were kept in 1790, there was a ferry grant here to the Hawleys of Kingsland Bay, Vermont. It is not known how long this ferry ran but the Vergennes to Willsboro Turnpike, which fed the ferry route, was abandoned some time around the Civil War
The site has long been identified as a protected harbor, used by mariners to weather storms from all directions. Most severe winds on the lake are from the north and south, so this is an ideal spot.