The Hancock House, home of the Ticonderoga Historical Society, is an elegant four-story Georgian structure serving as a cultural museum and research library.
The house was a gift to the New York State Historical Association from native son and philanthropist Horace Moses who built the house as a repository for the purpose of perpetuating "American Traditions in History and the Fine Arts". This imposing Georgian mansion is a replica of Thomas Hancock's (Uncle to John Hancock) Beacon Hill residence built between 1737 and 1741, and demolished in 1863.
The Hancock House Museum and Research Library was dedicated in 1926. The Ticonderoga Historical Society today manages this elegant structure as a regional museum and reference library. It is there mission to advance the preservation and interpretation of history through collections, programs and community outreach, preserving the past for the future.
There are interesting and exciting exhibits on all four floors of the Hancock House. The modern library houses a large collection of regional material on civic, social and economic elements and also has one of the largest collections of genealogical resource materials in the region.