The Knickerbocker Mansion, the most significant historic building in upper Rensselaer County, is located in an area of the Hoosic River Valley near Schaghticoke, NY known as the Vale of Peace. The Mansion was built by Johannes and Elizabeth Knickerbacker in the 1780's using a rare Middle Age architectural style. The Mansion presides over the remains of the historic Witenagemot Oak Peace Tree, which was planted in 1676 to commemorate a peace treaty between the Native Americans and the European settlers. The Mansion's quiet agricultural setting has been unchanged for centuries.
The building is a restoration work in progress but is open to the public every Sunday, during special Mansion events held monthly and by appointment.
Season and Hours Open
May-October. Open Sundays 11am-3pm and weekdays by appointment
Don't Miss This When Visiting
The Knickerbocker Family Cemetery is just down the road from the Knickerbocker Mansion. The cemetery contains Knickerobcker family members including 10 veterans of early wars, a Dutch Reform pastor and his wife and Knickerbocker family slaves.
Identify And Describe The Management Organization
The Knickerbocker Mansion is run by the Knickerbocker Historical Society, Inc. The mission of the Knickerbocker Historical Society, Inc. is to preserve and maintain the Knickerbocker Mansion, the Knickerbocker Family Cemetery and the remains of the Witneagemot Oak Peace Tree. In addition the historical society works to interpret the history of the Mansion property, develop educational programs concerning the history of the Mansion and the surrounding area and promote community awareness and appreciation of the local history.
Site is Child-friendly