This small monument is a memorial to Canadian Lt. Col. Gerald W. Birks (1872‐1950) who often visited Valcour Island on his yacht, the Nomad, which was crewed by high school and college students. During World War One, Birks and some of his crewmen traveled to fight in Europe, where four of his companions died. A generation later, five of his crewmen were killed in World War Two. The monument marks the fallen crewmen and Birks.
Latitude: 44.618948 Longitude: -73.409169 Elevation: 96 ft