Old Stone House Library

The library was built as a private home in 1825 by Willis Swift. In 1922, the building was given to the town by George Knapp to be used as a community house and library.

Note the fort-like construction, with no windows in the side walls. Those walls are 20 inches thick, and the window casings and floors are all original. The stones are bound tightly with the same mortar used when laid. The building was said to be a stop on the Underground Railroad.

The library is now staffed by volunteers and maintained by the town. Volunteers take care of the book collection and present programs for children, including summer activity programs and book clubs. They also hold bake and book sales and other fundraisers to help fund the collection and programs.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 43.412214 Longitude: -73.487814 Elevation: 158 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Fort Ann Historical Society

What Communities Does This Facility Serve

Town and Village of Fort Ann

What Are The Stories Told In This Facility

The Battle of Fort Ann

Halfway Brook, Champlain Canal and Waterway Navigation

What Are The “Don’t Miss” Experiences In This Community

Outdoor activities include: Hiking, biking, rock climbing, wildlife viewing, leaf peeing, camping, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, hunting, horseback riding, agriculture, historic downtown, and canoeing.

Season And Hours Open

Year-round: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 3 to 5 p.m.

Identify And Describe The Management Organization

The Old Stone House Library is the lending library of the Fort Ann Historical Society.  The library committee is made up entirely of volunteers, with a president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer.

Leave a Comment

Submit