William Gilliland of Willsboro was the first to build a fortified house here to protect his land interests in the area. It is thought that the British actually built the fort at Gilliland’s request for protection and that there was no evidence he actually owned the land. The fort was about 40 by 50 feet in size. The building was known in military journals as the "White House." It was fortified and used by the British in the Revolutionary War. It played an especially interesting role at the end of the war in 1783. Jay’s Treaty went into effect on June 1, 1796 and this ended the British occupation of Lake Champlain. The fort was destroyed by fire in 1805.
Latitude: 44.945209 Longitude: -73.351045 Elevation: 113 ft
Related Sites Or Experiences
Point Au Fer