This short loop through cornfields, woodlands and pastures in Beekmantown and Chazy involves almost no climbing. It begins at the Point au Roche State Boat Launch on Cemetery Road. Lake Shore Road follows the coast of Lake Champlain, with spectacular views of the Island of South Hero and the Green Mountains of Vermont. Many sugar maple trees are roadside, with some ‘sugar bushes’ in the area dating back 3 and 4 generations. Upstate New York, Southern Quebec, and Northern Vermont are the ideal locations for maple syrup production. In early spring, a popular local custom is the annual Pancake Breakfast, served with hot maple syrup just boiled down in the ‘sugar shack’. Also in the spring, thousands of apple trees are in bloom. During the summer months, several marinas are filled with pleasure boats, and the fall offers some
of the most beautiful foliage in the country for cyclists to enjoy, along with the perfect weather.
- 0.0 Park at Point au Roche State Park day use area. Take the paved bike path.
- 1.5 Paved bike path ends. L onto Camp Red Cloud Road.
- 1.8 R onto Point au Roche Road.
- 2.5 Point au Roche Road turns North at entrance to Mooney Bay Marina.
- 3.6 L on Cemetery Road.
- 3.7 Point au Roche boat launch parking lot.
- 5.5 L on Lakeshore Road.
- 5.6 R on Point au Roche Road.
- 5.7 L at Point au Roche State Park entrance.
- 6.1 Return to day use area parking lot.