This park was once the site of a powerhouse with a prominent 165-foot smokestack. Power could be cheaply generated in Port Henry with coal delivered via barge. The plant opened in 1907 and closed in 1923. For its demolition, some 100 pounds of dynamite were used.
Located along the shoreline adjacent to the state boat launch, Powerhouse Park has received recent site improvements through town and village efforts. Installation of benches, picnic tables, a pedestrian trail, landscaping, a kiosk, and informational signage were completed in the 1990s.
Improvements for pedestrian access are needed between the downtown and shoreline, as part of an ongoing effort to revitalize the waterfront and support its downtown businesses. Two pedestrian bridges were previously constructed on Dock Lane over Mill Brook near the shoreline with grant funding, but are not connected to sidewalks.