Saratoga National Historical Park commemorates the famous Battles of Saratoga, called the "most important battle of the last 1000 years” (New York Times Magazine). On September 19th and October 7th, 1777, an American army under General Horatio Gates defeated the southward invading British army under General John Burgoyne. This crucial American victory secured for America a much-needed alliance with France and gained critical international support for establishing American freedom. Don’t miss the 20-minute orientation film, fiber-optic light map, Eastern National bookstore, annual and special exhibits, and a 10-mile self-guided tour with 10 wayside stops.
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
- Explore the Turning Point Trail: The 1777 Campaign of Major General John Burgoyne
- Northern Reaches of Lake Champlain: An Interpretive Guide to the Borderlands of Lakes to Locks Passage
- Waterways of War: The French & Indian War
- Waterways of War: The War of 1812
- Waterways of War: Turning Point of the American Revolution
Interests and Areas of Expertise
Regional History, American History, European History, Religious History, Culinary Arts.