The William H. Miner Story

This loop starts at the Chazy Central Rural School, built by William H. Miner, and adjacent to the Alice T. Miner Museum. The school was the first central school established in the United States. Mr. Miner invented a shock absorbing device for railway cars, known as the “Miner Tandem Draft Rigging.” The invention was patented and through resulting businesses, Mr. Miner became a wealthy man. In addition to the school, he built and equipped the Physicians Hospital and Kent-Delord House museum in Plattsburgh and restored the Alice T. Miner Colonial Collection in Chazy. The Miner Foundation built and equipped the William H. Miner Agriculture Research Institute in 1956. Miner's old homestead, Hearts Delight Farm, located on Minor Farm Rd., is open to the public. It is a working dairy farm with a variety of exhibits and Morgan horses.


The Champlain Valley in this area is wide and relatively flat so the slight climb experienced when leaving the lake is pleasantly rewarded on the return.

Easy

  • 0.0 Chazy Central School - Parking. L on Graves Street.
  • 0.2 R on Route 9.
  • 0.7 L on Miner Farm Road.
  • 6.8 Cross Route 22.
  • 11.4 R on Joe Wood Road (stay straight for services in Altona).
  • 14.3 R on Gilbert Road.
  • 17.9 L on Route 22.
  • 18.2 Downtown Mooers.
  • 18.7 R on Lavalley Road.
  • 26.1 Cross Route 9 and stay on Route 9B.
  • 27.6 Coopersville. R on Lake Shore Road.
  • 32.5 R on Duprey Road.
  • 35.3 Chazy Central School.

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 44.886594 Longitude: -73.432505 Elevation: 163 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Andrew Alberti

Leave a Comment

Submit